July 1, 2020
Dear Religious Education Families:
We hope you have all been doing well during this very difficult and challenging times. You have all remained in our thoughts and prayers. We are excited to announce that First Communions will take place on Saturday, August 15th at 10 am and at 12Noon under strict guidelines. Both sessions will be bilingual. Please note we will first need to complete the preparation of the children to receive this Blessed Sacrament. It is imperative that you as parents and or guardians help us in achieving this preparation. Outlined below are the necessary steps to follow:
- You will need to complete the readings and activities in this packet. We ask that you continue to instill prayer in your child’s life by gathering to pray as a family and encouraging your child to join us at Mass via Facebook Live on Sundays either at 10:00am in English or 12Noon in Spanish. Or beginning on July 5th you are welcome to attend Mass in person following social distancing guidelines as posted on our website.
- Practice the prayers that are included in this packet. They are the most basic and important prayers that your child needs to know before receiving the Sacrament of First Communion.
- Take time at home to share your thoughts with your child about the reasons you would like him/her to receive their First Holy Communion. Why is it so important for them to receive the Sacrament at this time in their life?
- Send us a picture or video of your child’s letter to Jesus that is included in the packet. It will be featured on our website and Facebook page as a way to encourage your child to think about his/her personal relationship to Jesus. We hope this helps your child get excited with anticipation about receiving the Sacrament.
- As you work on the packet, write down any questions you may have. Then, initial each page when you complete it and turn in the finished packet. When you do, you may pick up your First Communion Banner Supplies.
You may contact us at any point if you feel like you need help or guidance. You can reach us at the Office of Religious Education via e-mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible. You may also reach Kim directly via Facetime or at her personal e-mail.
Please know we are doing everything we can to make your child’s First Communion experience as special as possible under the circumstances. We are in this together!
Director of Religious Education
1 de Julio, 2020
Estimadas familias de Educación Religiosa:
Esperamos que se encuentren bien durante estos tiempos difíciles. Hemos estado pensando en ustedes y orando por todos. Nos complace anunciarles las Primeras Comuniones se llevarán a cabo el sábado, agosto 15 a las 10am y a las 12pm bajo estrictas medidas. Ambas sesiones serán bilingües. Por favor, note que comenzaremos completando la preparación de sus hijos para recibir este Sagrado Sacramento. Es importantísimo que como padres o guardianes nos ayuden con la preparación. Enumerados abajo se encuentran los pasos a seguir:
- Necesitan completar las lecturas y actividades de este paquete. Pedimos que continúe inculcando la oración en la vida de sus hijos al reunirse en familia a orar, e incentivando a su hijo(a) a participar de la celebración de la Santa Misa los domingos por Facebook Live, ya sea a las 10:00am en inglés o a las 12 del mediodía en español. O comenzando el 5 de julio, son todos bienvenidos a participar en persona siguiendo las medidas de distanciamiento social que están publicadas en nuestra página de Internet.
- Practique las oraciones incluidas en este paquete. Son las oraciones más básicas y más importantes que su hijo(a) necesita saber antes de recibir el Sacramento de la Primera Comunión.
- Aparte un tiempo para hablar con su hijo(a) sobre por qué usted quiere que reciba el Sacramento de la Primera Comunión. ¿Por qué es tan importante que su hijo(a) reciba en este momento de sus vidas?
- Envíenos una foto o video de la carta de su hijo(a) Jesús que está incluida en este paquete. Esta se incluirá en nuestra página web y Facebook para motivar la relación personal de su hijo(a) con Jesús. Esperamos que esta actividad le ayude a su hijo(a) a sentirse emocionado en anticipación a recibir el Sacramento.
- Mientras trabaja en el paquete, escriba cualquier pregunta que pueda tener. Luego, escriba sus iniciales en cada hoja cuando lo termine y entregue el trabajo completo. Cuando lo haga, puede también recoger los materiales para el cartel de la Primera Comunión.
Se puede comunicar con nosotros en cualquier momento cuando necesite ayuda o guía. Nos puede escribir al correo electrónico de la oficina y le responderemos lo antes posible. También puede comunicarse con Kim directamente via Facetime.
Por favor, sepan que estamos haciendo todo lo posible por hacer que la experiencia de su hijo(a) de la Primera Comunión sea lo más especial bajo las circunstancias en las que estamos. Recuerde, que ¡estamos en esto juntos!
Dios los bendiga,
Directora de Educación Religiosa
May 13, 2020
Dear Religious Education Families:
We hope you are all well. Here at St. Joseph Office of Religious Education, we are committed to ensuring our children receive their sacraments as they had hoped, and for which they have been preparing for. We will keep you posted as information becomes available as to what arrangements will be made so the children may receive. We keep you all in our prayers and we hope you are making good use of the resources we have shared to continue your child's preparation for his/her upcoming baptism, communion or confirmation.
God bless you all!
April 29, 2020
Dear children and families of our St. Joseph Religious Education Program:
As we continue to "stay home" due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, we'd like you to know, that we are thinking of you and praying for your well being. While we know this time is difficult for so many of you because you miss the flow of a normal life, we hope that you are remembering Jesus every day. He is the light of the world! It is more important than ever to stay hopeful and to remember and say the prayers that you have learned in Religious Education and with your parents. It is also very important to continue to nourish your souls with good Catholic practices, like daily Bible reading and reflection, and with activities that could involve the whole family, like doing an act of kindness for someone in need.
You might want to send a note of encouragement to our elderly residents living at The Pines. They have not been able to receive visitors for a few weeks now, and would very much appreciate your letters. Feel free to write to them at the following address:
61 Bellevue Ave.
Bristol, CT 06010
Also Check out http://catholicmom.com/ for information and fun activities that you and your family can enjoy during the quarantine.
Here's also a little prayer you may want to say everyday:
Angel of God
My guardian dear
To whom this love
Commits me here
Ever this day
Be at my side
To light and guard
To rule and guide.
God bless you all!
Attention St. Joseph Parishioners and Religious Education Students!
As we await the re-opening of our churches and schools, we want to provide you with helpful and inspiring prayers, so that you continue growing in your faith and spiritual strength.
Click on the link below to access some common and beautiful catholic prayers.
Also, as we all prepare for the celebrations of Holy Week and Easter, it is important to keep focused on the meaning of Lent. The following are some activities and information to get us through this important and solemn time. Let's remember that the 40 days of Lent help pave the way to the glorious feast of the Resurrection, through prayer, fasting and almsgiving, bringing us closer to God every day.
Click on the link below to download.
Finally, to all our school and Religious Education families. Now more than ever, it is important to instill the faith in our children. Please review with them, the Lent and Easter chapters on their religion books, and help them fill their hearts with the love of Christ. Let's remember that Jesus gave His life, so that we may all live!
We have been notified by the Archdiocese of Hartford that our schools will remain closed at least until April 30th. We thank you for your efforts in keeping your children safe, happy and motivated through this difficult times.
Director of Religious Education
Our Religious Education program offers classes for children in the age groups from Pre K 4 - 10th Grade. Our classes are led by well prepared catechists and aides, who are also VIRTUS trained and background checked.
Our students are immersed in a scope and sequence based learning of our Catholic faith. We aim to "expand on a child's understanding and love for Jesus and His Church, to introduce the concept that with Grace it is possible for us to act as images of God here on Earth, and to live with God someday in Heaven." In other words, it's a learning journey that prepares for a life in Heaven. Most importantly, our children learn that "we can truly encounter the person of Jesus in the Sacrament, and that Jesus transforms us for the better through the grace of the Sacraments."
In order to have a true understanding of the mystery of our Faith, we believe it is important not only to hear and learn, but also to take part in the Sunday Liturgy. We encourage our students and their families to attend Mass on a weekly basis.
If you would like to find out more about our program, please call our office at 860-582-2888.
RCIA (RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS) CLASSES ARE NOW IN SESSION. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING, PLEASE STOP BY THE OFFICE OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION OR CALL US AT 860-582-2888. YOU MAY ALSO E-MAIL US HERE
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION NEWS
Pre-K Program Available in Religious Education
September, 2018 - It is with great pleasure we announce that we have now added a Pre-K 4 class to our Religious Education Program. Pre-K 4 through Grade 8, and Confirmation I (Grade 9) student registrations can be made by calling the office of Religious Education at 860-582-2888, or by filling out our registration form on this site
Congratulations to all the children who received their First Communion, on Saturday, May 12, 2019!
May the light of the Lord shine bright in all your ways, and may you continue to receive Jesus with the same piety and enthusiasm as when you did on the day of your First Communion.
Congratulations To All Who Were Confirmed!
This past May 17th, 37 young men and women received the gifts of the Holy Spirit through the Sacrament of Confirmation: Wisdom, Understanding, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety and Wonder and Awe in God’s presence. Archbishop Leonard Blair anointed the Candidates with Holy Chrism, and extended his hands over each one of them and said, "Be sealed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit."
With its powerful effects and vibrant symbols, Confirmation is considered to be one of God's great gifts to Catholics. Please keep all our candidates in your prayers.